There may come a time when many homeowners need to spend the money on a new roof. Metal roofing is an option that many people are taking advantage of when it is time to install a new roof on their homes. Whether you hire a professional or decide to do it yourself, it would be helpful to know the many steps of the process involved in installing a metal roof.
Here is the process for installing residential metal roofing in Alaska:
- Prepare your roof for the installation: Installing a new roof is not something you can just jump into doing. Before you can start the installation, you need to get things ready. Of course removing the old roof is part of this process, but you will also need to do a bit of measuring, find new material and perform any necessary repairs. Once these things are complete, you will be ready to install your new roof.
- Add insulation: Too often, homeowners have an issue with moisture causing damage to their roof. Between the snow, sleet and rain, there are many opportunities for moisture to ruin your roof, unless you have the proper protection. After you have prepared your roof for installation, you’ll want to be sure you add a layer of insulation. This layer is used to protect against the negative effects of moisture and keep your roof safe.
- Install edging: It still isn’t time to start installing your metal panels, because you have one more step to complete before that can happen. Edging should next be installed on your roof. Ideally, these metal strips will be placed in a way that allows runoff to drain into your gutters. Installing the edging incorrectly could lead to issues with moisture—for example, a rotting roof, stained siding and possibly even a flooded basement.
- Add metal panels and flashing: It is now time to install the metal panels. This is a very important step, so you want to make sure you get things right the first time. You want to cut them the right size, properly align the panels and secure them in place. At this point, you will want to add flashing to your roof, which is installed at the points where the metal panels meet. It is typically bent into a V shape for a better fit.
- Complete the installation: Your roof isn’t quite complete after you install all of the bottom layers, metal panels and flashing. Before you can officially say this project is complete and enjoy your new roof, you want to double check that the entire roof is covered in metal, there are no loose or unsecured pieces that need to be addressed and that the flashing is smooth. If everything looks good, you can clean up and declare your roofing project a success.
There are a lot of different reasons why people decide to get a new roof. Perhaps the old one is in poor condition, or they just want to improve the appearance of their home. Regardless of the reason, when you are planning to get a new metal roof installed, you should understand the process before you begin. Even better, you can hire a roofing contractor who understands the ins and outs of metal roofing.
Need a professional who is an expert with residential metal roofing in Alaska? You can get in contact with a professional at Superior Products Inc. today to learn more about how our team can help!
Categorised in: Metal Roofing
This post was written by Writer