Why Do Steel-Sided Structures Require a Weather-Resistant Barrier?September 13, 2021 4:02 pm Leave your thoughts
Steel is one of the best siding options for any home or commercial building, but it’s important to know that all steel-sided structures require weather-resistant barriers to protect against moisture accumulation due to condensation or water infiltration.
This post will cover how a weather-resistant barrier protects your home or building from problems caused by that moisture accumulation:
- Rust and corrosion: Any moisture buildup under your steel siding can result in devastating rust or corrosion on the siding itself, structural connections and metal wall framing. This is a frightening problem because rust isn’t always outwardly apparent, and it only gets worse over time. A weather-resistant barrier is your best line of defense against rust and corrosion.
- Mold and mildew: Trapped moisture often leads to mold and mildew growth on the wood behind the steel siding. Mold has negative health effects, especially for those with pre-existing breathing conditions. Additionally, it can lead to wood rot if it’s left untouched. Weather-resistant barriers prevent the possibility of mold by keeping the wood as dry as possible.
- Thermal performance: A weather-resistant barrier keeps your inside air in and the outside air out. By reducing heat transfer, these barriers help reduce your energy costs throughout the year while keeping your home or building as comfortable as possible.
Is steel siding right for you?
If you need to replace the siding on your home or commercial building, be sure to consider steel. These are a few benefits of steel compared to other types of siding:
- Durable: No other siding product compares to steel in terms of durability. Steel is resistant to insects, sharp temperature swings, high winds, impact from flying debris and anything else Mother Nature throws at it. Unlike other materials, steel-sided buildings will likely never need siding replacement.
- Waterproof: While it’s true that weather-resistant barriers are required to keep moisture out of your steel building, the steel itself is waterproof. The material has a protective coating that blocks water and keeps the outside of the structure rust free.
- Low maintenance: Steel is the lowest maintenance out of all the siding materials, which is a blessing for many property managers and homeowners. The material never needs to be repainted or stained and should never need extensive repairs. The only maintenance you really need to perform is washing it down when it gets dirty.
- Eco–friendly: Steel is the most environmentally-friendly siding product out there. No harmful chemicals are emitted during its production, and most steel siding is made of recycled materials. So, if you’re looking to reduce your carbon footprint, go with steel instead of another siding material.
Install your new siding today
With winter on its way, now’s the best time to install your new steel siding, and Superior Products, Inc. is the best team to tackle the job. Our steel-sided buildings are proven to last for decades without failure, and we have some of the best prices in the area. Get in touch with us today to learn more about what we can do for you and get your free estimate.
Categorised in: Steel Siding
This post was written by Writer